1.On a sticky note, write down what you hope to gain from this orientation and place it on the space provided on the wall
- Please turn cell phones to vibrate.
- Please text and make phone calls during breaks and lunch only.
- Please use laptops and tablets only as directed.
- Honor the speaker - no sidebar conversations.
- Be positive and participate.
- Use sticky notes for questions.
- Have fun!
Goals for Beginning Teacher Orientation
- To create a sense of community among beginning teachers so that you may develop a network of support
- To provide you with tools and strategies for creating a safe and orderly environment in your classroom
- To provide you with tools and strategies for a successful first day and first six weeks of school
- To introduce you to the Beginning Teacher Program in Buncombe County
Ice Breaker:3,2,1 Go around the table and
3. Share your name, your school, and your grade or subject
2. Share two personal facts about yourself
1. Share one thing fun you did this summer
What factors in the classroom are the greatest indicators for student achievement?
John Hattie: Influences on Student Achievement
NC Teaching Standards 1 and 2
Teacher as Leader
Teachers lead in their classroom
1. Take responsibility for all students' learning
2. Communicate vision to students
3. Use data to organize, plan and set goals
4. Use a variety of assessment data throughout the year to evaluate progress
5. Establish a safe and orderly environment
6. Empower students
Teachers Establish a Respectful Environment for a Diverse Population of Students
Teachers provide an environment in which each child has a positive nurturing relationship with caring adults
1. Encourage an environment that is inviting, respectful, supportive, inclusive, and flexible
Teachers treat students as individuals
2. Maintain High Expectations for all students
3. Appreciate differences and value contributions for building positive appropriate relationships